Christ the King Parish
Project Overview & Specifications
- Project Location: Wethersfield, CT
- Owner: Christ the King Parish
- Completion Date: March 31, 2019
- Cost Range: $31,900
Christ the King Parish has its roots firmly intertwined with Wethersfield, CT going back to 1789 when Father Tisserant, a Roman Catholic priest and refugee from the French Revolution was the first priest to perform baptisms and other sacraments in the area.
Until the late 1800s, the church boomed with new parishioners until the church on Hartford Avenue at the time burned down. Reverend George M. Grady purchased a piece of land on the Silas Deane Highway for the construction of what will become the church and school grounds. The church was built in the Georgian Colonial architectural style and completed construction in 1939. The first pastor of Corpus Christi was Reverend Francis E. Nash in 1941. The parish continued to grow and in 1960 raised enough money to build a parochial school on the property.
KSR restored the front entrance doors at Christ the King Parish. The doors coated in lead-based paint needed to be handled and restored in compliance with lead-safe work practices. Once at our shop, we removed the existing paint and inspected the doors for any signs of wood rot and deterioration. Members of our woodshop repaired damages through dutchman repairs and prepared the doors to be painted. While the doors underwent painting, we salvaged, cataloged and cleaned the existing door hardware. Finally, we installed the cleaned hardware back onto the doors and installed them at the church.