The Acheson House, Wesleyan University
Project Overview & Specifications
- Project Location: Middletown, CT
- Owner: Wesleyan University
- Completion Date: August 24, 2015
- Cost Range: $239,344
Located on the corner of Newfield and Washington Streets in Middletown, Connecticut, sits one of Wesleyan University’s Residential buildings, The Acheson House. The Acheson House, built in 1916, is a stucco building constructed in the Neoclassical Revival style.
The house is named after its first owner, Edward Campion Acheson. Mr. Acheson was the sixth bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Connecticut, serving from 1915-1926. Reverend Acheson’s son, Dean Acheson, was a famous lawyer and politician, serving as the 51st United States Secretary of State during Harry S. Truman’s presidency. The building is now owned and operated by Wesleyan University and is referred to as the “Lotus House”.
Kronenberger & Sons was responsible for window replacements, exterior wood repairs, detailed restoration of the front columns and entryway, repainting the entire building, masonry repointing, refinishing the wood flooring, and installing new carpets.