The First Congregational Church of Darien has had ties with the Fairfield County community since the late 1600s. Back then, parish members would make the long trek from Darien to Fairfield to practice their faith. After many harsh winters including influenza outbreaks, the parishioners of Darien formed the Middlesex Parish in 1737. A few years later, the community raised money for their first meetinghouse.
Attendance grew significantly over time, and when Darien became an independent town in 1820, the Middlesex Parish added “Congregation” to their name. The first minister, Moses Mather served the church for over 60 years (1744-1806). The present meetinghouse was built in 1837 as the congregation had expanded even further.
Kronenberger & Sons was responsible for structural stabilization of the roof. We did this by disassembling the ceiling and tying in steel reinforcement beams to help with shoring the existing trusses. We finally rebuilt the ceiling and applied final finishes.