Cream Hill Agricultural School
Project Overview & Specifications
- Project Location: Kent, CT
- Architect: Clifford A. Cooper, AIA
- Owner: State of Connecticut
- Completion Date: May 19, 1994
- Cost Range: $183,900
The Cream Hill Agricultural School was founded in 1845 by Samuel W. and Theodore Sedgwick Gold in Cornwall, Connecticut.
The school was originally on the same property as the Gold family residence and the students would even share meals with the Gold family. Samuel W. Gold taught a variety of subjects including, geology, mathematics, biology, chemistry, with a special emphasis on agriculture. Students would often times leave throughout the year to return home and help their families during planting and harvesting seasons. The school was open for 24 years and closed when Samuel Gold died. Samuel’s son, Theodore, believed his father’s vision should live on, through educating the youth in the area of agriculture. Theodore S. Gold became a Trustee of The Storrs Agricultural School, which would later become the University of Connecticut. It must be noted that there is clear evidence that the techniques and practices introduced during Theodore’s tenure as a Trustee stem from the teachings at Cream Hill School to influence The Storrs Agricultural School curriculum.
In 1994, Kronenberger & Sons disassembled, moved and reassembled the Cream Hill Agricultural School at CAMA’s site in Kent, CT.