The Robert D. Glass Courthouse was designed by Wilfred Elizur Griggs for the cost of $91,000 and opened in 1896.
As the need for more space became an issue, a renovation was completed in 1911. The building was built in the Italian Renaissance style, with four notable columns held high above the front entrance. The court was dedicated to Justice Robert D Glass in 2008 and Judge Glass became the first African-American to serve as a juvenile judge. He has a very distinguished career and became the first Africa-American justice to be appointed to the Connecticut Supreme Court.
Kronenberger & Sons Restoration completed an exterior envelope restoration to the building. We performed extensive masonry work to the cornice which including lifting and installing an 8-foot-tall concrete slab atop the building. The Connecticut seal is imprinted on the concrete slab and is displayed at the very top of the building above the main entrance. Our work involved brick and stone repair and replacement, façade stabilization & strengthening, corrosion mitigation & control, façade inspection support, and leak investigation support.