In 1784, the First Ecclesiastical Society of Barkhamstead built their meeting house to practice their faith and Reverend Ozias Eels was ordained in 1787 as the church's first pastor.
This meeting house was dismantled around the time of the civil war and the current Greek Revival building began construction in 1844. In 1914, the church became incorporated and changed its name to the First Congregational Church of Barkhamsted.
Kronenberger & Sons was awarded the project after the church closed in September of 2017 due to structural damages to the roof. We stabilized and improved the existing roof structure while bringing the building up to code all while maintaining its historic elements.
Author: Kay Page Greaser, The Register Citizen