Along the southern edge of the University of Connecticut’s Avery Point Campus lays the last lighthouse built in CT. The Avery Point Light was built in 1943 under the direction of the Coast Guard, who utilized the grounds at the time as a training facility. Due to the potential threat of attacks during WWII, the lighthouse wasn’t lit until May 2, 1944.
Two years after the Coast Guard left Avery Point to move their training facility to Governor’s Island, The University of Connecticut converted the property for academic use in 1969. Due to constant contact with the elements, Avery Point Lighthouse eventually fell into disrepair.
Kronenberger & Sons performed restoration to the lighthouse in late 2003. Our work on the lighthouse included predominantly custom masonry work to match the lighthouse bricks existing color and shape including cutting and repointing all old stone work.
Author: Gladys Alcedo, The Day