Jacobson Barn

Project Overview & Specifications

  • Project Location:
    Horsebarn Hill Road, Storrs, CT
  • Project Architect:
  • Owner:
    University of Connecticut
  • Completion Date:
    November 2002
  • Cost Range:
The Farwell Barn, also known as Jacobson Barn, is an historic property in Storrs, Connecticut. Built in the 1870s, this heavy timber post-and-beam framed clapboard-sheathed barn was originally owned by Isaac Farwell. Farwell was predominantly known as a dairy farmer and used the barn for farming and agriculture until his death. The barn was then bequeathed to his son Isaac Jr. and Fidelia Farwell, who eventually sold the barn to George Jacobson in 1908. In 1911 the Connecticut Agricultural College, now the University of Connecticut, purchased the barn and property from Jacobson. Kronenberger & Sons stabilized the severely damaged barn by replacing much of the post-and-beam framing. The weathered cupola was removed from the roof, completely restored, and safely hoisted and reinstalled. After stabilization, KSR completed envelope restoration including sheathing, siding, windows, and roofing. Jacobson Barn is #00001649 on the National Register of Historic Places.

Press Mentions

A piece of the past comes home

Author: Sara Putnam, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources


Christ Episcopal Church

View more

UConn Fine Arts Complex

View more

Old Saybrook Middle School

View more

Rockville Public Library

View more