Erected in 1784, the historic New London County Courthouse replaced a former courthouse burned down in the American Revolution. Four years after the construction of the courthouse, a Yellow Fever outbreak left many people hospitalized. With the lack of local facilities to treat victims, the New London County Courthouse was used as a temporary hospital to help those afflicted.
Esteemed historical figures including Daniel Webster and Patrick Henry have made their way through the building arguing cases. In 1815, a celebration was held here when the New London harbors were finally opened following the end of the War of 1812.
Kronenberger & Sons Restoration completely restored the building’s exterior envelope. KSR stripped all siding, repaired post and beam framing as required, patched the sheathing, stripped the roof down and installed new roofing, restored the cupola, installed a weathervane, cut and repointed all the brick foundation, and painted the whole exterior of the building.
Author: Jayne Keedie, New London Patch