The Norwalk Public Library as an entity formed in 1879, and the library was initially housed in rented rooms on Wall Street in Norwalk, CT. In 1901, the city of Norwalk applied for, and won a Carnegie grant. A Carnegie grant supports the construction and funding of public libraries in the United States, with the understanding that the city applying would provide funding equal to 10% of the grant awarded.
The city found a suitable lot thanks to Hubert E. Bishop's donation of land on the corner of Belden Avenue and Mott Avenue. The library was designed in the Tudor style, recognizable by its steeply-gabled roof and leaded glass windows. Norwalk Public library opened in April of 1903. In 1982, a large addition to the back of the building created new library offices and provided more room for library patrons.
Kronenberger & Sons Restoration restored the building by updating stairways and landings, restoring ornamental trim work, and updating HVAC and finishes.